Friday, April 23, 2010

Mobility and Motility

Just like the nurse said, Titus was right on track and barely missed a beat because of the broken leg. As previously reported (how formal does that sound?), Titus showcased his feat during the First Annual Clark Family Day program on Monday, April 12. We were all lying on the bed, relaxing from our grueling 2.5-mile hike at Lake Norman State Park, when Titus saw an opportunity occasioned by Katie putting a grape about 4-5 feet away from Titus on a pillow. He seized it, and I looked up at Kate: "Did he just crawl!? I think that's a first!"

So as any good father/family chronicler would do, I ran down the stairs to find a video camera (an old digital camera backup since we lost the Flip!), which I of course couldn't find. And we subsequently put Titus through a series of "let's-make-sure-this-is-the-real-thing" tests, which he passed. It was confirmed: our little man was now mobile!

And so he is. It has been remarkable in the days since how Titus has gone from 0 to 60 in under two weeks. Clearly an explorer, the kid is putting the Clark back into "Lewis & Clark." We're so proud. His favorite activity to engage in with his newfound mobility is to crawl over to the desk drawer and pull it in and out -- repeatedly.

While I am not-so-silently and reluctantly watching him grow out of infanthood and into toddlerhood -- missing the days of holding him and knowing that all he could do was look up and squirm a little bit -- I love the fact that he can now come to us. Up to now, it had always been us coming to him. It warmed my heart one day last week after coming home from work when I called him and he actually came to me. He's our little puppy. :)

Just one of the million little blessings that I never expected because you'd never read about them in a book. At least now, you can read about them on a blog. :)

P.S. In case you're wondering what "motility" is, I had to look it up too (dictionary.com): –adjective. Biology. moving or capable of moving spontaneously: motile cells; motile spores; motile infants (my addition).

No comments:

Contributors